Wednesday, November 15, 2006

NaBloPoMo

Um...yeah.

So the first day of NaBloPoMo, at 7:15 a.m., Mom called from Oregon to tell me Dad had had a series of "mini-strokes" during the night. (And let me tell you, her use of the diminutive "mini" did nothing to allay my immediate panic.)

Dad was in the hospital for almost a week, I took a train down for a long weekend--and things turned out okay. Dad suffered no permanent effects from the "mini-strokes" (TIA's, apparently), and after starting on blood thinners had no more of them.

But needless to say, my NaBloPoMo participation was shot. (There is no internet in Reston.) (Okay, there is, but it's dialup, yo. And you usually have to start it up two or three times in order to get a halfway decent connection speed. I just didn't deal with it. I was mostly at the hospital anyway.)

More bad news followed hard upon the heels of Dad's stroke, and then some more stressful news on top of that, and I spent a week scrambling to find a place to move into at the end of the month. Now that's settled, and we "just" have to pack everything and put most of it in storage.

So here's the thing, Internet: I'm bucking the establishment and doing MY NaBloPoMo month in DECEMBER. Ha! Take that, establishment! I defy you! I refuse to conform!

Yeah, that's the ticket--this is all about cool, youthful rebellion, and not a series of unfortunate events that forced me to postpone my participation against my will.

Anyway. Watch this space in December as I, lonely, straggle in with a month of consecutive daily posts.