Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Metrics

I went for a bike ride on Saturday, riding down to the end of the Green River Trail in Kent and back up home to Rainier Beach again.

Number of miles ridden: 38
Number of miles by which this exceeds my previous longest ride: 12

I felt like a cartoon, I was so happy to be out there. The sun was out, the trail was surprisingly uncrowded--nothing like the Burke Gilman, which is the only other regional trail I've ridden on. I stopped for a break after 12 miles in a newish park in the Kent area, dedicated to three men who died on a fishing trip in Alaska a couple of years ago. The park had a shelter, restrooms, picnic tables, a barbecue grill, and lush green grass...and nobody was there. On a sunny Saturday. Of a three-day weekend. Weird. I refilled my water bottle at the drinking fountain and went on another 7 miles, to where the Green River Trail intersects with the Interurban Trail.

I thought about taking the Interurban back up to Tukwila to make the ride a loop, but saved that one for a different day. I was in a windy trail mood, a mood for meandering along the riverbank and behind office parks and under bridges, not for a straight-as-an-arrow sprint back north. I wandered home, showered, and headed out to the bookstore with Mr. Thel for dinner and literature.

Despite my expectations, I wasn't even sore on Sunday. Of course, the trail is flat as can be...but still, I preened a little at the evidence of my budding strength. I can't imagine a better way to spend part of a Saturday, and I can't wait to go out again.