Sunday, February 13, 2005

DIY blanket

Last night I dreamt that I was at a friend's house admiring a luxurious, cozy knitted blanket she had draped over her sofa. She told me she had just purchased it at IKEA, so my dream-self soon made a trip to find one for my own living room.

I wandered through the huge IKEA at South Center, searching for the blanket, but couldn't find a similar one anywhere. Finally I found a salesman and asked him about the beautiful green-blue blanket I had seen. "Oh," he said, "we have the kits for those over here." He then led me to a bin full of large knitting needles. Each needle had the blanket's starting row already cast on and came in a package with a huge ball of yarn; all the buyer had to do, in keeping with IKEA's assemble-it-youself philosophy, was knit the blanket.

I suppose they could call it the "Nicherondam" blanket.

(EDIT: I should mention that in the dream this seemed like the coolest idea EVER, and I was so excited to knit my blanket, since apparently in my dreams I already know how to knit.)